I had posted the Raw jackfruit or kathal sabji a while back. These are Kebabs or cutlets made from raw jackfruit. If you have left over sabji use it the next day to make the cutlets or make a fresh batch. Either ways these are delicious and very unique in taste. I have used a lot of spinach too. You can avoid that if you prefer, and are not as green veggies obsessed as I am :))
It goes well as a side dish, wholesome snack, or for breakfast.
- Boiled green jackfruit pieces – 3 cups full.
- Spinach, chopped fine- 1 and a half cup
- Red onion – 2 medium size
- Thick Yoghurt – 3 table spoons
- Garlic – 3 cloves chopped up
- Ginger – 1 inch cube grated
- Turmeric 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli – 1 tsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Chaat masala – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala 1 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Mustard oil 1 table spoon
- Gram flour – 1 table spoon
- Rice flour 1 table spoon
- Take the boiled and soft jackfruit pieces in a dish. Marinate with salt, yoghurt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Keep aside for an hour at least.
- Take a wide pan on medium flame and add the oil. Once it heats a little add the grated red onions. Sauté till almost golden brown. Add the chopped garlic and grated ginger. Slide in the marinated jackfruit pieces and mix well. Simmer for good 10 – 15 mins till all the juices and yoghurt are almost dry.
- Add in the remaining spices. Mix well and cook till all the spices are well incorporated, and the jackfruit pieces become nice and mushy. Allow it to cool.
- Take a hand held potato masher and lightly mash in the jackfruit. We still want some chunks. To this add the chopped spinach, gram flour and rice flour. Mix well using a spatula or your hands.
- Shape into small balls and shallow fry before serving. I like them with spicy garlic chutney or coriander/ mint chutney.