A quick and easy spinach puff recipe. French party is just a fancy pastry sheet that can be used in a multitude of ways. I have used store bought frozen Phyllo sheet here along with spinach, onions, garlic, feta cheese, pine nuts and nutmeg powder. You can choose your own filling and roll them or fold them in creative way.
- Spinach- blanched, chopped, squeeze out the excess water and then measure 1 1/2cup
- Feta cheese – 80 to 100 gms crumbled up
- Nutmeg powder 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder 1/2 tsp
- Onion 1 medium sized , chopped
- Garlic 2 cloves – chopped
- Butter 1 table spoon
- Egg – 1
- Pine nuts 1 table spoon – optional
- Salt to taste
- Take a pan on medium flame and add butter to it. Sauté chopped onions and garlic for a few minutes. No need to brown them, we need it translucent only. Turn the heat off and allow to cool.
- Add blanched squeezed spinach to this, nutmeg powder, feta cheese , pepper, egg and pine nuts. Give it a good mix. I added only a pinch of salt since feta cheese had a lot of salt. The filling is ready now.
- Roll the phyllo in the desired shape. Add a spoon full of filling and then pinch & seal them either with the back of a fork if it is folded. I have done 2 styles – cut squares and folded them in triangles and rolled them in mini croissant. The rolls did not need to be sealed, but stand them spinach side up while baking.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes on a 150 degree centigrade pre heated oven, top and bottom foil on, until nice and golden brown.
Enjoy the crunchy and scrumptious puffs for breakfast or as a tea time snack.