This is a healthy and very yummy , light cake with wholesome multigrain flour, brown sugar, honey, hint of cinnamon, ginger & nutmeg and loads of carrots !
I have tried to experiment with lots of recipes to ensure the cake is moist, soft and flavourful too. This is what I came up with that’s a perfect one and a perfect tea time accompaniment.
- Multigrain flour 1 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar 1 cup (powdered)
- Baking powder 1 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon powder 2 tsp
- Dry ginger powder 1 tsp
- Nutmeg powder 1/2 tsp
- Chopped walnuts 1/2 cup
- Raisins 2 table spoons
- Eggs -3
- Vanilla essence 1 tsp
- Milk 2-3 table spoons if needed to adjust the consistency, sometimes the carrots are very dry !
- Grated Carrots 2 cups full
- Butter or Oil 1/2 cup
- Honey 2 table spoons
- Sift and mix together multigrain flour, baking soda, baking powder, powdered sugar, and spice powders. Mix the chopped walnuts and raisins in this dry mix.
- In another dish, whisk the eggs, add oil/ butter, honey , vanilla essence and mix well.
- Combine all the wet and the dry ingredients and fold gently. Sprinkle grated carrots little at a time, till all is mixed and covered well. Do NOT over do this step.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade. While that happens add milk, only if the mixture is not the right consistency and difficult to incorporate together. 1 had to add 2 table spoons.
- Grease the baking dish, pour the cake batter, tap to remove any air bubbles and bake immediately.
- I baked it on 180 for first 20 minutes with top and bottom induction. Then switched to only bottom heat @ 150 for next 25 mins. Do prick test, with a bakers tester or a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean. Time may vary slightly depending on the size of your cake tin.
- Allow to cool completely on a rack before cutting slices. I haven’t done any icing since the cake is pretty moist and light anyhow ( and I want to avoid extra calories too 😛 )
Enjoy with a cuppa hot tea/ coffee !!