With the current lock down scenario in Thailand, I am back to a lot of home baking yet again ! This bread is the current hot favourite at home. Do try this and leave me your comments on how it turned out.
- Oats flour 1 1/2cup
- Rolled Oats 1 cup
- All purpose flour 1 cup and some for dusting the bread tin
- Cracked wheat or dailya 1/2 cup ( soaked in 1/2 cup boiling water for 10 mins)
- Egg 1
- Milk 1 1/2 cups ( to brush and to wash)
- Dry yeast 1 1/2 tsps ( bloomed in 2 tbsp of warm water and 2 tsp of sugar)
- Salt to taste
- Cheddar cheese grated 1 cup
- Oregano and mixed Italian dry herbs 1 tsp each
- Red Chilli flakes 1 tsp (Optional)
- Flax seeds 1/4th cup
- Chopped walnuts or Pumpkin seeds 1/4th cup
- Oil 1/2 cup and a little extra to grease the tin.
- Olives 1/4th cup chopped and a few extra slices for topping.
- Bloom the yeast and keep aside in a warm place for 10 mins.
- Soak the cracked wheat in a small bowl while we collect all the other ingredients except milk and oil in a large mixing bowl.
- Tip in the yeast. Cracked wheat would have absorbed all the water by now, tip that in too. Mix well and then knead the mixture with little milk and oil at a time.
- Once we get a soft dough, cover and leave aside for an hour to proof. By then the dough would have risen and almost doubled. If it hasn’t no need to worry!
- Knead it well again. Sprinkle some milk or water if needed. Oats absorb a lot of moisture making the dough slightly tough.
- At this point I grease and dust my bread tin and transfer the dough directly into the tin. Decorate the top with slices of olives. Allow to proof over night if you prep in the late evening. ( or a good 4-5 hours if you prep in the morning for an evening bake)
- Give a milk wash and Bake first thing in the morning for 30 mins in a preheated oven at 180 degrees centigrade or until you get a golden crust on the top.
- Allow to cool completely on a rack before slicing the bread. Tastes good as it is with a hot cup of coffee or tea and doesn’t need any toppings!
1.My tin is slightly longer @ 30 cms length. Adjust the measurements for a smaller bake.
2. Cut slightly thicker slices of this bread, since it’s loaded with seeds and wheat.
One Comment Add yours
All goodies baked in one dish , it has to be all time favourite ! You don’t need any time or hunger to eat it , just binge on it when ever you feel like !