Some recipes bring back the memory of childhood days, a special treat at a special time. A recipe that was so special it was made by that one person in the family only on special occasions 🙂 Don’t we all have that one dish from our yesteryears that makes you feel all fuzzy inside ??
Which one is yours? Do Share!
Stuffed tomato is a spicy, tangy, vegetarian dish that comes alive in colours and flavours !!
Ingredients for filling:
1.Boiled potato – 1 medium size
2. Grated Paneer or cottage cheese 1 cup
3.Chaat masala 1 tsp
4.Salt to taste
5.Red chilli powder 1 1/2 tsp
6.Garam masala 1/2 tsp
7.Green chillies – 2 finely chopped
8.Fresh ginger – 1 inch, peeled and finely chopped or grated
9. Boiled Kodo millet – 1 cup (optional. You can use quinoa or any other millet or perhaps just increase the quantity of paneer)
10.Fresh green cilantro , a small bunch that is washed and chopped
11. Boiled corn or green peas 1/2 cup
Ingredients for Gravy:
- Red onions 2 large
- Scooped out tomato left after preparing it for filling.
- Ginger 1 inch
- Garlic 4/5 cloves
- Red chilli powder 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper 1 pinch
- Garam masala 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cashew nuts 6/7 pieces, powdered
- Oil 2 tsp
- Take about 12 – 14 medium size ripe, but firm, tomatoes. Wash and pat dry. Slice off the top stem side, about half a cm and the bottom side just so the skin is peeled and it can stand upright. Now take a small spoon, scoop out all the seeds and the insides, making it hollow for the filling. Be careful not to scoop out the base. Sprinkle a little pinch of salt inside the tomato shells. Keep the tomato shells separate and use the scooped out tomato for the gravy. We do not waste anything!
- In a dish, mix all the ingredients for the filling well.
- Be careful not to use too much salt here. With the help of a spoon, fill the tomato shells with this mixture tightly. Keep aside.
- To prepare the gravy, add red onions, scooped out tomatoes, ginger and garlic to a mixer/blender, and make it a fine paste. Add as little water as possible.
- Take a flat bottom large skillet on medium flame, add the oil. When hot enough add the cumin seeds and tip in the red onion mix. This needs to be sautéed till dry and cooked well.
- Add in all the spices and the cashew nut powder. And cook for a few more minutes till the aroma of the spices fills up the kitchen. Add about 1/4 cup of water to this and mix well. Reduce the flame to low and place the tomatoes with the filling upright into the pan, over the gravy to cook.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Turn the flame off but let it sit for another 10 minutes without removing the lid.
- To serve carefully place one tomato at a time on the serving dish, garnish with green coriander leaves. Enjoy it with parathas or plain rice.
One Comment Add yours
Love this , its so colourful, yummy and filled with nutrition ! I’m surely going to make this ! It also bringing back many memories and tastes of forgotan times ! Although you have made this more nutritious