The most iconic pie of all is the Apple pie. It is loaded with the goodness of apples. A little different to the usual process here, since I have tried to make it healthy with almond flour and less butter and sugar. And though it will perhaps surprise you, you will love the results. But the steps are simple to follow. So here goes..
Red apples 4 – 5 medium sized
Cinnamon powder 2 1/2 tsp
Sugar 4 table spoons
Lemon juice 1 tsp
Almond flour 1 cup
All Purpose Flour 2 1/2 cup
Oat flour 2 table spoons
Butter 3 table spoons and a little extra for lining the pie dish.
Milk – 1/2 cup and for brushing 1 table spoon
Preparation Method :
- Take a small pan over medium flame and add 2 table spoons of sugar with a tsp of water. Once this melts, keep stirring until it starts to caramelise or get fizzy. Add in 1/4 cup milk and keep whisking. Add in another quarter cup of milk and stir until the sugar melts. Turn the flame off and keep the caramel sauce aside.
- Take another medium size pan on medium flame and add in 2 table spoons of butter with 1 and a 1/2 table spoons of APF, whisking constantly. In about a minute it will start browning. Turn the heat off and keep aside to cool while we prepare the apples.
- Now take the apples, peel, wash, core, slice, and cut the apples not too thin and not too thick. You will get about 5 cups full. Transfer it to the pan with butter and APF mixture. Sprinkle with 2 tsp of cinnamon powder and mix it thoroughly.
- Tip in the caramel sauce to this and give it a good mix. Add the lemon juice. Make sure every piece is well covered with the sauce and the lemon juice.
- To make the pie crust, I have taken 1 cup almond flour, 2 cups APF and 2 table spoon oats flour. Rub in 1 table spoon of butter only to this dry flour mixture. Almonds have their own oils too. Add 2 table spoon sugar and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and knead into dough with the help of water.
- Turn on the oven to preheat. Divide the dough into 2 equal sizes. Roll one out slightly bigger than the dish size with the help of a rolling pin. My dish is 8 and a half inches in diameter. To transfer it roll it back on the rolling pin gently and unroll in onto the greased pie dish. Cut off the extra on the sides and stick it into the oven for about 15 mins on 180 degrees C.
- While the crust is baking , let us roll out the 2nd dough portion into a round of about the size of the dish. We will cut this into strips to make a lattice pattern. Using a knife cut even thickness strips of about half inch.
- Once the crust is done, we take it out of the oven and pour in the apples, mostly in the centre and a little on the sides.
- Now lift one long strip of the dough from the centre and place in in the centre of the pie dish over the apples. Place the longer strips in the centre from the longer ones to the shorter ones horizontally first and then vertically. Each strip has to be alternately woven to look like a basket weaving or a lattice.
- Trim the edges to look even and press the dough down on the sides to join with the crust. Give it a milk wash.
- Put it back to bake on 180 degrees C for 25 mins . Enjoy the healthy and skinny pie with ice cream or just like that.
Flavourful and yummy skinny guilt-free apple pie!