A one pot meal that was my favourite as a child. Infact it masquerades as Multi Grain pasta in Lentil stew. This soupy dish is sour, spicy, uses simple ingredients and iwholesome in itself. A go to dish especially during the rainy season or the winter months. I have made this in Arhar dal, UP style.
Ingredients for Dal :
- Arhar or Tuvar dal 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Ghee 2 table spoons
- Whole red chilli 2
- Asefoetida – generous pinch (we need good quality, fragrant one)
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1tsp
- Turmeric 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder 1 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice 2 tsp
- Green coriander handful washed and chopped fine.
Ingredients for Dhokli :
- Multi grain flour 2 cups
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Ghee 1 table spoon
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp
- Water as required to knead the flour
- Wash and soak the dal for 2 hours. Pressure cook for 2 whistles with 2 cups of water, salt and turmeric. Allow the steam to settle by itself.
- While that is cooking, knead the flour with water and all ingredients for Dhokli. We need a semi stiff dough. Keep aside for 10 mins.
- Roughly divide into balls to roll out one at a time into slightly thicker Roti. Using a cookie cutter or a steel glass cut it into even sized circles.
- Use the entire dough to cut these circles. Now take one at a time, pinch the ends firmly, then turn it 90 degrees and pinch again to give its special shape as shown in the picture. Keep aside.
- Once the steam has settled in the pressure cooker, Use a whisk, to make sure the dal is mixed into a homogeneous consistency.
- Add 4 more cups of water to this and bring it to a boil. It will look runny for now, but its ok. Once the dhokli cooks in it, it will thicken.
- Once the dal comes to a boil, gently add the dhokli to cook. Add some salt. The dhokli has salt too, so be mindful. Cover and allow to cook for 10 mins. Stir occasionally but carefully so the dhokli does not break. Keep the flame low.
- While this is cooking, we prepare the tempering. Take small pan, on low flame, add ghee. Add asafoetida, mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add cumin seeds and whole red chillies roughly broken into pieces by hand. Stir a little and turn off the flame. Add red chilli powder after.
- Season the dhokli with tempering and lemon juice. Taste check and adjust salt and lemon juice if needed.
- Garnish with lots of green coriander and serve hot with papad. Enjoy the pretty-looking Dhkoli with Family !!