- Chicken breasts – 3
- Pesto – store bought or home made ( basil, parmesan cheese , walnuts, pine nuts, salt, black pepper, olive oil )
- Tomatoes, 3 chopped
- Onion, 1 medium sized
- Chilli flakes to taste
- Garlic (3-4 cloves), finely chopped
- Italian herbs, 1/2 tsp
- Olive oil, 3 table spoons
- Mozzarella cheese, handful
- Wash the chicken, pat it dry and slice each chicken breast lengthwise. Pound each piece into even and flat pieces, so that it can be rolled up. Sprinkle salt and pepper everywhere.
- Take one spoon full of pesto at a time and place it in the middle of the fillet. Try to roll it up tightly, and with the help of a toothpick, seal the edges. Place it in the freezer for 30 minutes, while we prepare the sauce.
- In a pan, on medium flame, add 2 tbsp of olive oil, and add the chopped onions. Sauté for 5 mins, and once the mix is translucent, add the chopped garlic, tomatoes, salt, Italian herbs and chilli flakes. The tomato sauce will take about 10 mins to cook, so reduce the juices and mix well. Keep it aside.
- Take an iron skillet with olive oil on high flame. Take out the chicken rolls from the freezer and sear until it turns golden brown.
- Transfer to a baking dish, remove the toothpicks, and arrange as you prefer. Be careful, as it may be very hot. Pour the liquid from the pan on this, and the tomato sauce we made. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake for 15 mins on 180 degrees.
Serve hot with home made breads or with rice. I had posted a multi seed bread and a tomato recipe earlier. Please do check that out. Both go very well with this chicken dish.