A spicy tangy dip that goes with just about anything – dosa, idli, pakoras, cheela, paratha, and breads too !!
Call it the Indian salsa :))
- Red tomatoes 1 1/2 kg
- Red dry chillies, thick variety for colour – 7-8 pcs
- Red chilli powder 1 tsp
- Sesame oil 3 table spoons
- White split urad dal 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves a handful
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Pinch of asafoetida
- Wash the tomatoes and chop it roughly. Put them in a blender along with dry red chillies and blend well. You might need to do 2 -3 batches depending on the size of your blender jar.
- Heat the oil and add asafoetida, urad dal, mustard seeds, and allow it to crackle. The dal takes a minute or two to get the golden colour. Add curry leaves, red chilli powder and immediately tip in the tomato puree from the blender.
- Let it simmer for a good 20 mins, stir occasionally. Keep it slightly covered since it will splutter and make a mess in the kitchen.
- Once the water has evaporated, it will release the oil. Now add the salt. Allow it to cool and store in an air tight container in the fridge.
This keeps good for about 10 days. Enjoy the flavours with whatever you please.