Lockdown has turned me into a baker and I can proudly say that I haven’t bought bread from the market in the past 7 months now 🙂
Consuming the healthy mixed seeds every day becomes cumbersome, so here is a bread recipe that’s nutritious and flavourful. 🙂
- Wheat flour 2 cups
- Semolina 1 cup
- All purpose flour 1 cup and some extra for dusting
- Yeast 10 gms
- Eggs 2 medium sized at room temperature
- Salt to taste
- Mixed seeds 1 cup (I have used Flax, sesame- both white and black, pumpkin, sunflower, melon)
- Cheddar cheese 1/2 cup
- Yoghurt 1/2 cup
- Optional chilli flakes 1 tsp & dry Garlic flakes 2 tsp
- Olive oil 1/2 cup
- Bloom the yeast in 1/2 cup of lukewarm water and a spoonful of sugar. Keep it aside for 10 mins.
- In a large dish, take all the 3 flours – Wheat, APF and semolina. To this add the salt to taste, chilli flakes, garlic flakes. Mix it with a spatula. Tip in the bubbly yeast, mix again.
- Add the eggs, cheese and continue folding it with a spatula. When it gets tough to mix with a spatula, time to use hands and knead for 5-7 mins. The dough needs to be gooey soft as Semolina will absorb the excess moisture. Drizzle with some oil and set aside for an hour in a greased container for proofing.
- By now the dough would have risen. Take it out on the clean counter top, dust the surface and prepare to knead some more. Fold in the seeds while working on the dough. Add the yoghurt and oil slowly and work it into the dough as well.
- Once everything is incorporated nicely leave it in a greased and dusted bread loaf tin itself for the next 2 hours before baking. The dough will at least double in size again. My loaf tin is a longish one – about 12 inches, so baking time can vary.
- Give a milk wash before baking. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees C, and bake for 10 minutes before reducing the setting to 150 degrees C. Bake for another 20 minutes or until a nice, golden crust has been reached.
- Allow it to cool for the next 2 hours. And slice only then, or else it will break while slicing.
Aromatic and deliciously healthy bread is ready. Enjoy with morning breakfast, or at tea time with home made guacamole !!