This Curry is extremely popular and an authentic Bengali recipe. I have used Salmon here, that is cooked in thick mustard paste. This is an easy to prepare, quick and yummy recipe. All you need is just plain rice to go with this flavourful fish curry. Only thing to remember is to cook this in mustard oil for that authentic flavour.
1.Salmon or a fish of your choice 5 – 6 pcs (about 800 gms in my case)
2. Yellow Mustard 2 table spoons , soaked in warm water
3. Green chillies 2-3 ( depending on how much heat you prefer)
4. Thick Coconut milk 1 cup (alternatively you can use 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut)
5. Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
6. Ginger 1 inch, skinned and chopped
7. Mustard oil 1 table spoon
8. Black mustard 1/2 tsp
9. Salt to taste
10. Green Coriander to garnish
Preparation Method :
- Wash, pat dry and marinate the fish with salt and turmeric powder for about 10 mins, while we prepare other ingredients.
- In a small blender, add ginger, green chillies, soaked yellow mustard seeds along with the water it was soaked in and blend well into a paste. If using fresh grated coconut and not coconut milk, add it to the blender now.
- Otherwise Keep the coconut milk, mustard oil and salt ready as this recipe moves fast and you don’t want to over cook the fish.
- In a large pan, add mustard oil and put in on medium flame. Add the black mustard seeds. Once that splutters , add split green chillies if you like. Add only a pinch of turmeric powder and the entire paste that is in the blender. Mix well and cook for 2 mins. I don’t like to fry the fish hence place it directly into the pan. Cover for 2-3 mins. Stir gently.
- Add the coconut milk, and adjust the consistency of the gravy with water. Coconut milk thickens the gravy, so some water might be needed. Add a pinch of salt here. Taste check to adjust the salt and spice. Turn off the heat and Serve hot with a garnishing of green coriander.
2 Comments Add yours
This looks like a delicious curry!
Apologies for the late reply, but thank you very much for the kind words!
LikeLiked by 1 person