Banana flower is considered as a vegetable in many Asian cuisines. The inner cream coloured flowers are used here and not the red outer covering. Banana flower is yet another veggie full of nutrients and helps in anaemia, diabetes, kidney function, ulcers etc.
This salad is called BHUNGA in Burmese. Here is my take on a healthy salad version.
- Banana flower 1 medium sized
- Vinegar 1 tablespoon
- Potato 1 medium size
- Garlic 4/5 pods for tempering
- Peanuts Roasted & crushed, a handful.
- Salt to taste
- Green chilli 1
- Oil for tempering 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice abt 1 tsp
- Turmeric a pinch
- Fried onions (optional)
- Green cilantro leaves for garnishing
- Take the banana flower, peel all layers, collect all the white/cream flowers and discard the red larger leaf. Look at the pic for reference. Chop these long white flowers in half, discard the black hard vein that runs through each flower. This step is tedious but a must do.
- Take a large pot with enough water and place on the high flame. Add some salt and a table spoon of vinegar. Add the deveined and chopped flowers to this and bring to a boil. Reduce flame and cook for 10 mins. The flower will get cooked and turn brownish/ blackish, which is ok ! 🙂
- While this is getting done, in a separate pan peanuts can be roasted simultaneously. Cool and Blitz in a small blender to coarsely grind.
- In the same pan fry a sliced onion on low flame with a table spoon of oil till it browns. Drain it on a paper towel.
- Drain the water, from the pot of boiling water now and allow to cool. I like to chop it up into tiny bits here. Add one boiled chopped potato to this.
- To prepare the tempering, take the same pan we used for frying onions. Add finely chopped garlic and green chilli. Stir for a min or so and add the turmeric pwd. Turn off the flame.
- Add this to the boiled banana flower and potato mixture. Adjust the salt and lemon juice to taste. Also add the crushed peanuts. Give this a good mix till everything comes together nicely. Chill and enjoy the symphony of flavours.
- Garnish with crispy fried onions and chopped cilantro.