I first had Gongura pickle back in college days at Bangalore at a friends place. The taste lingered and was unavailable in the north of India as readily. Subsequent visits to the city always demanded a visit to some local restaurant preparing this as a pickle or delicacy. Recently, discovered this in Bangkok local market and felt overjoyed !! Check the pic above for reference of this vegetable.
Red Sorrel , Ambada or Gongura is a miracle leaf almost. Its a sour tangy herb used in treatment of various ailments – Hypertension, bacterial infections, inflammation, weight loss, hair treatments, skin issues, etc. The leaf, seed, fruit apparently all can be used in various forms and preparations. Here I have used the leaves with chicken and spinach but you can substitute it with paneer or Tofu. Try your thing and do share how it turns out.
1.Boneless chicken 1/2 kg
2. Red sorrel, a fat bunch, leaves picked, washed and chopped.
3. Spinach, a handful of washed, chopped leaves.
4. Oil for cooking
5. Onion medium size , finely chopped
6. Cumin seeds 1 tsp
7. Asafoetida a pinch
8. Fresh Black pepper crushed 1/2 tsp
9. Red chilli 1/2 tsp
10. Turmeric powder 1 pinch
11. Fennel seeds 1 pinch
12. Grated fresh Coconut 1 table spoon heaped
13. Kasoori methi 1 tsp
14. Salt to taste
15. Fresh green coriander to garnish
- Take 1 table spoon oil in a large wok on medium flame. Add asafoetida, fennel seeds & kasoori methi, both crushed between your palms, cumin seeds and chopped onion. Stir a few minutes till translucent.
- Add pepper powder and chopped red sorrel leaves. Keep stirring till it cooks, reduces in quantity and discolours almost. Now add the spinach leaves, red chilli and turmeric pwd and grated fresh coconut. This balances the tartiness of sorrel leaves.
- Add the washed, diced chicken to this, add salt to taste and cover with a lid to cook. Stir a few times. There is no need to add any additional water as chicken and the leafy vegetables both will leave a lot of juices and the chicken cooks in that juice itself. Keep the desired consistency and turn the flame off once chicken cooks.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or Roti.