Who doesn’t like Mathri with pickles right ?
But what if you don’t like the mess of pickle oils, or have old pickle that no one wants to eat anymore since there is a new and fresh one available.
During my early days in Bangkok, all my pickles would be brought in from my mother’s home. Gradually the constant worry of the smell and mess it may cause IF it leaked in suitcases during travels gave me enough stress and reason to finally learn to make them myself here. So basically each pickle was learnt with numerous phone calls and discussions in those days when whatsapp services were non existent, and calls were valued.
Most masalas were and still are bought in India and transported all the way to Bangkok even today.
So you can imagine when no one wants to eat the old pickle, I have to look for ways to use it up in different ways. This basic recipe is one such superhit gem my Mom, who knows all too well my love for the pickle !!
Here is my version of it :
- APF 2 cups
- Semolina 1 cup
- Multi grain flour 1 cup
- Old Pickle about 2 spoon heaps each of Mango and Amla pickle.
- Carom seeds 2 tsp full
- Nigella seeds 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli pwd 1 tsp
- Oil to rub and fry ( or air fry)
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the 3 flours – APF, semolina and MGF. Add carom seeds and the Nigella seeds to it .Dry mix it with a spatula.
- Take the pickle in a small mixer jar and make a paste of it . Add this to the bowl, add red chilli pwd and rub about 1/4 th cup of oil. Adjust the salt and knead the dough with warm water, not too soft and not too hard either. Be careful with how much salt , oil and chilli you add to the flours since pickles usually have excess of it anyways . Keep aside for 15 – 20 mins .
- Roll out one small round at a time in medium thickness, prick with fork and air fry or deep fry on medium flame.
Enjoy as a tea time snack!